Hello curious reader and welcome to Phogropathy! I want to take a moment and give you an idea of what I do here, where and how to start, and how you can benefit from becoming a regular reader of this site.
What Does Phogropathy mean?
While I was fooling around at one of those various domain name availability sites frustrated with being unsuccessful in getting a website with photos, photography, or something of the like in the url I decided to simply rearrange the letters of the word – photography – and like magic Phogropathy was born!
Who Am I and What Do I Do Here?
Well my name is John Davenport while I’m currently working a typical 9-5 trying to pay off the loans that got me the job in the first place. I dream of building Phogropathy into a thriving business and retiring early in life, but don’t we all? In reality I simply need to stay busy and absolutely love being creative and helping people learn.
Here on the site I do three main things
- I share my Photos – Weekdays I share a photograph from my collection for you to enjoy.
- I share Your Photos – Sundays I have a photo share series which I encourage you to check out and take part in.
- I teach what I can - Between all the time I spend doing everything else I try and share my thoughts on photography related subjects, give pointers from time to time, and even record a weekly video focusing on editing a photograph start to finish in Lightroom.
- Oh – I also have just launched a community site and a new store which I’d love for you to check out.
What Should You Do Now?
1.) Remember Phogropathy
- There’s nothing like forgetting that site that you visited the other day. I offer many ways to connect with me. Pick one or all of them so you don’t forget about Phogropathy!
2.) Experience Phogropathy
- There are hundreds of photographs on this site and I put them out there for people like you to enjoy. I share tips and ideas to help other photographers get better shots and I share other photographer’s photographs so that we can all learn and be inspired by one another. So when I say experience Phogropathy I mean, go and have a grand old time looking around – I’m sure if you’ve read this far you’re at least interested in looking a bit further right?
- Community is key to a successful site. Leave a comment on a photo. Ask for clarification on a tip or share your own way of doing something. The best way to contribute and help me grow is to sign up for the forum and start a new thread or two.
- Are you a photographer looking to share your shots? Well each week I share some of my favorites that have been submitted to my Flickr Photo Share Group or My Facebook Timeline. The series “Phogropathy’s Photo Share” was launched in February of 2012 and has quickly become one of the most trafficked posts on my site each week. It’s great fun for me to see what everyone else is shooting and I know many people reading my site enjoy seeing these different perspectives as well.
- Are you a writer looking to get some exposure? Phogropathy might be a small site, but it is growing and I want to be able to share as many helpful ideas as possible. Feel free to contact me about guest posting on my site. I’m always looking for new angles, and ideas on common topics!
I’ve written a few guest posts for some high profile sites, maybe you’ve seen them, maybe you’ve even found out about me through them? But if you haven’t here they are for your reading pleasure!
- Digital Photography School - Three Dangers of Landscape Photography
- Digital Photography School - How I Stumbled Across an Amazing Way to Slow Down My Shooting Process
- Digital Photography School - How to Photograph the Stars
- Digital Photography School - Become a Better Photographer by Asking One Simple Question
- Digital Photography School - Improve Your Photography By Learning to Edit
- ProBlogger.net - Feeling Lost? Let a Blogging Road Map Lead You To Success
- Her View Photography - 3 Things to Do Before You Photograph Anything
Finally – How Does Phogropathy Make Money?
At this point in time, the bulk of the money being put into Phogropathy’s development has been out of my own pocket. That being said I do have a couple ads served by Google’s Adsense branch on my site and from time to time I’ll write posts like 10 Awesome Photography Gifts You Can Give Any Photographer for Under $100 which contain affiliate links to Amazon.com.
I’ve also recently launched an on-site store where anyone in the United States can order prints directly from me and have them shipped for free to their home. You can also purchase the exact RAW photographs used in any or all of the Let’s Edit videos.
All the money that is earned through advertisements, affiliate sales and print sales goes directly back into the site. Some examples of where money goes include paying for hosting fees, upgrading the design and layout of the site, gear and software related to my photography, promotions, and of course giveaways and contests.
Thanks for reading this little introduction to my site – I hope you’ll be back again and again!